Thursday, April 26, 2012

To Everything There is a Season Turn! Turn! Crochet!

Alright. Today is Day Numero Four for the Knitting and Crochet Blog Week and the topic is "A Knitter or Crocheter For All Seasons?" We are encouraged to discuss the seasonality of our craft with y'all. Like, "I like to crochet warm stuff in winter because it's cold," or something along those lines. I must admit this topic didn't really get my blogging mojo running so, instead of utilizing the excellent nap Little Mister took this morning to do something productive, like blogging, I ended up thinking, "Ugghhh...why did I decide to commit to writing everyday for this blog week thingy? Seasons of my crochet? I don't make sweaters. I need a sweater because it's cold here. It's almost winter. Winter, spring, summer and fall...all you have to do is call...and I'll be there.......ugggghhh....now I have that song in my head. I'm hungry. I wonder how long Little Mister is going to nap. Seasons....seasons.....Uggggghhhhhh."

And then I went on the hunt for food. I didn't even spend his nap time cleaning my house but that's because I did that yesterday (!!!!) and yes, that truly was a Porcine Pilot you saw today. You are welcome.

I just couldn't think of how the heck I could say that I make things seasonally and then BAM! It hit me. Instead of crocheting different projects dependent on the seasons of the year, I actually crochet different projects dependent on the seasons OF MY LIFE.

Take a moment to let the profoundness of that statement sink in. I know I had to. I had to eat a sandwich and take a nap it was so profound.

I find that I will go through crocheting bursts dependent on how my life is going. For instance, I taught myself how to crochet in the summer of 2007 when I took a leave of absence from my job as well as a sabbatical from my schooling. I was so stressed out and filled with worry and anxiety and found solace in trying to get a hang of this whole yarn thing.

And then I became addicted and couldn't stop. When I find something I like- a pattern, a stitch, a color- I tend to go through an "Obsession Season."  My first Obsession Season was my "Round Ripple Season," which was most of 2007 and 2008. (There is actually one more that I made but I didn't take a picture of it before giving it away.)

Top L: My sister's boob blanket, top R: Greens for my mom, Mid L: G-ma's 90th b-day blanket, Mid R: Spidey-ghan for Lyteyz's Little Man, Last row: MY PURPLES!!!
 At the end of 2008, I went through my "Scarf Season."


Wait...I'm NOT a scarf? You mean I was adopted???


 I'm currently going through a "Stained Glass Window" season. It started with a pillow and has continued to two purses, a blanket, and a cowl.

One "manly pillow" coming up

The fastest foot-crocheter in the west.

As you can see, I'm also going through an, "UFO Season," as well.

I find that I crochet the most, and the most intensely, during the "STRESS!!!" seasons of my life, whether they are out of my control or self induced, i.e. I put an insane deadline for myself to finish something. Such as an upcoming birthday where I had to crochet furiously for two months to finish this.

Ah yes...the Mario season of 2009. Unusual weather we are having. (Name that movie!)

When my life season is a little overwhelming, I always have my escape plans in place. Usually sticking my head in the sand like an ostrich is my number one go-to plan. My sands of choice are either books, video games (Hellllloooooo BigFishGames!), and, of course, crochet. I became extremely productive at the end of 2009 and early 2010 due to that particular overwhelming season.

This particular season of my life- new motherhood and relocating to the other side of the world- has been pretty overwhelming, as well. I cycled through all of my escapisms and have actually been pretty darn productive crochet wise, but unfortunately either haven't finished or haven't taken pictures of what I was working on yet, so unfortunately I can't showcase much stuff right this moment. Hopefully very soon, though. It's been a while since I've shared a finished object and I'd like to get some of the many (many!) UFOs out of my "allllllmost finished" pile. (I think the last one was my Christmas tree skirt....HEY! Not only another round ripple, but a Christmas SEASON crocheted item! Totally on track with the theme of today's blog topic!)

So, there you have it. Winter, spring, summer and fall, Gege crochets it all. Is there a season of life when you are most creative, as well?


To see other blogs participating in the Knitting and Crochet Blog Week Day 4, do a search for 3KCBWDAY4.

13 comments:

  1. wow, you do some amazing crochet!

    btw - Are you on hookey.org? it's a great social place for crocheters (only) to meet. come join!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap, that Mario blanket! I just checked out the project page on your Rav and HOLYCRAP it's huge! That is so awesome. You really made that in such a short period of time? I'm in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. goodness thats alot of work

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an interesting take on the idea of "seasons" - I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these shares of your work. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super fantastic post! Love, love how you approached this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your seasons are so true ! Im a cowl season, sock season, shawlette season, etc ! Nice to meet you during blog week

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yup Gege, my season right now is baby dresses. Just finished up the insanely long season of totes/purses......what will be next!?

    kuddles

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, everybody! Linda- I'm on Hookey now- thank you!

    Hopefully I'll be able to finish this "UFO Season" soon and post some finished objects. :) Kuddles- totes/purses are ALWAYS in season. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Crocheting according to the seasons of your life really makes sense to me. I go through that, but my life labels are different. I do remember this season of job-related stress where I had to crochet to survive. I remember during that time, I crocheted almost every.single.day. I made so many hats and blankets that year that I could have opened up a boutique. What I have also discovered is that I can't force myself to crochet. If I'm not feeling it, it doesn't get done. When I try and force it, it's like a major brain freeze or I make a lot of mistakes and I hate that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I go through similar life season phases with my crochet. Your work is really beautiful, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello, on the 1st of the purple how did you come up with that color scheme. It looks awesome. I would like to do something like that but with different colors!

    ReplyDelete