Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Did You Ever Know You Were My Hero?

It’s Day Three of the Knitting and Crochet Blog Week. Yes, I just posted my Day Two, but for me in the Land Down Under, it’s really Day Three so I’m playing catch up from posting the first day late and am making up for it by doing a double posting from the future. Or something like that.

Ahem.

Anywho…the topic for today is “Your Knitting or Crochet Hero.” Of course I’m totally picturing a crocheter dressed in a superhero costume, a big “C” emblazoned on the front, flying around Crotchopolis (hmmm…sounded better in my head) to right all the wrongs of this world *coughknittingcough*. But since I haven’t finished my suit yet there isn’t a crochet superhero out there yet, I’m going to have to say the first person to pop into my head was my mom.

Now, she is not an obvious choice for this because she is actually not a knitter or crocheter, although she was quite the macramé queen back in the day. However, she is extremely artistic and amazingly inventive. Extremely. She’s the type of person who can look at a piece of junk and see a gorgeous piece of furniture waiting to be revealed. She can go through a kitchen cabinet and chose a random assortment of ingredients and BAM! The best dinner you’ve had all week. She can see something amazing on TV- a skirt, a curtain, a painting- cock her head to the side and say, “I wonder if they did it this way?” And then WHOOSH! She not only replicates it, she improves it. I can only wish I had a quarter of the artistic talent and abilities that my mom has.

So, after laying the groundwork for how amazing my mom is, and to reiterate that she is NOT a knitter or crocheter, I want to show you exhibit A for why she’s my knitting hero.

My mom is more awesome than your mom.


What you are looking at is the very first knitted item my mom ever made. Ever ATTEMPTED to make. She was in her twenties and decided to take a crafting lesson at the local Senior Center because old people are cool and this is what she came home with. She said she never finished it because she got too busy and started having kids so, in essence, I am the reason why my mom is not the knitting or crocheting superhero she was obviously destined to be.

Once you pick up your jaws off the floor, I want to remind you what my first (and only) knitted item was.

It's a washcloth! Yeah...shut up.


Now look back at my mom’s intricate cabling.



And back to my pathetic excuse for a washcloth.



And now you know why she’s my knitting/crafting/cooking/super hero. (Heeey...maybe I can get her to make me my Super Crochet costume.....)

To see other blogs participating in the Knitting and Crochet Blog Week Day 3, do a search for 3KCBWDAY3.

7 comments:

  1. but my granma is more sweet than your mum ;)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Gege, your mom is now MY hero! Knitting and I have a real hate relationship .... cables for her first attempt! Holy Cow!

    kuddles

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom taught my to knit, she knits so well that i didn't want to mention her today! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kuddles- I KNOW, RIGHT?? She sent me a bag of old yarn and that was in it. I need to stop it from unraveling...it needs to be framed. ;)

    Sparkle- haha! It's tough living up to awesome mother's accomplishments, isn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, your mom is super amazing. She has the gift. But here's the thing. You have inherited that artistic gene. It might not be in the form of knitting, but your crochet designs are stunning. I've always thought so and that's why I started following your blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww...Libby- thanks so much for that! I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete