Sunday, March 29, 2009

Mario Party! Part 3- My Quest Ends.

Ok- now we are now on the home stretch. My previous post has the blanket half way finished....now for the final half!

Alright....I knew that I was going to have a battle scene for my blanket. In order to put up a good fight, Mario had to get big, but I couldn't fit all of the characters/scenes I wanted previously with Mario taking up so much space. So, towards the end of the blanket, he finally gets a Big Man mushroom. Hmmm.....where does this pipe lead??















To an underground level with a fire flower! Ok, another geeky tidbit...in world 4-2, an underground level, there is a hidden warp zone. You go up a vine to an upper sky, mushroom land level....















Now, in the game, the warp zone does not have a Flying Koopa Troopa; however, he was the one enemy I didn't have in my blanket, so here is his cameo. :)
















WARP ZONE! To..... 8-4?? Hey- it's my blanket....I have the artistic license to do as I please....

















Now that he's warped to the castle, brave Fire Mario (with "spit power" as mom would say) gets to battle a fire fan....right before doing battle in the castle.....


















Ok- I ain't even going to lie....this is my hands-down all-time favorite of all the panels. I dreamed about making this panel since the very beginning. It came out just as I imagined! I am so incredibly proud of it! It's HUGE! It's 3 panels wide and 2 tall- roughly about 4' x 3'. It can be a wall hanging- something I've been debating about doing. I wanted to keep this one all by itself b/c it's so awesome. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this one!!!!





Ahhh...the end of my quest. I had debated about whether or not to just leave it as, "Thank you Mario!" But, this truly has felt like a quest for me. I spent so much time and energy in planning this blanket and doing the math to make things just right. I am so incredibly proud of this work! My quest truly is over. :)











I hope you have enjoyed this journey along with me. It has been a long time coming! I do need to finish off the ends (I'm not weaving them in- I'm tying little knots and then am going to sew a backing on the blanket). I have put in so much into this blanket and now truly feel like a quest has been completed. I know my husband loves this blanket and will treasure it for many many years to come. :) Now, I can get back to my regularly scheduled life....and crochet projects. :)

PS: A FAQ can be found here.


40 comments:

  1. Here's another comment for you and all your hard work!! I can't believe all the work you put into this!! Thanks for sharing each panel.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. holy moly its Mario. this is AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely AMAZING!! I'm blown away at the detail and everything you were able to incorporate into your panels... IN CROCHET!! You, m'dear, are a genius. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome. This is just truly awesome,and awesome too. Have I mentioned it's awesome? I can't say awesome enough here. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I commented about your blanket over at Craftster, but I had to stop by here and tell you congratulations. Your work is superb!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's really quite amazing. Now I need to figure out where to learn Tunisian from so I can try to make something a quarter as cool as this is. I love how the panels tell a little story in order (poor Luigi!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. HOLY CRAP. I AM SHITTING BRICKS.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is epic. I cross-stitch video game stuff, so I totally understand your passion... but my crocheting skills are nowhere near insane enough for this. Thank you for sharing with the internet. You're a hero.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is so cool!
    My kids would love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is truly a masterpiece. i.am.in.awe

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah so thats the coolest thing I've seen in a long time....

    ReplyDelete
  12. As a huge Mario game fan for 20 years, this is just awesome! I covet this blanket :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMGWTFBBQ that is so cool, it puts my tetris project to shame (it's just squares...*sob*) !!! Now mass produce them and make big bucks...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your project was linked at ravelry.com. My son and I both think it is awesome! Woohoo. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gege,

    I love your blanket, it's wonderful!
    You inspire me to do it for me, I used to play Mario World in my childhood and I love crochet!

    Marina

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG that is amazing!!! I love Mario! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I saw this on crafster and loved it! I have been going thorugh the blog entires and it is just awesome! the skill level you show is great and the techniue is just wonderful not to mention the awesomeness of Mario! I would love to see a pattern or event charts to try and figure this out for myself.

    I made my husband a vinyl bag that was an old nintendo controler and people love trying to push the buttons when he takes it on the bus to work. He said he needs me to make more things like that for him. This would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it!! wish I knew how to make one...

    ReplyDelete
  19. This blanket is stunning! I never get past the first level in Super Mario Brothers and you have the whole thing from beginning to end including the secret place in level one.

    I didn't realize it was so big until I saw the photo with your husband laying on it. And it really looks good on your bed. What a family treasure this will be--everyone will want it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful. I am working on a graph pattern afghan right now and it's taking forever. My wonderful baby labrador got ahold of it, broke yarn skeins and in general, decided to take it for his own. Since the incident, I haven't worked on it...but I noticed something you said...that you worked right-side only. Would love some info on that!

    Your afghan is gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is amazing and gorgeous. it is so cool and cool. i just cant describe it. well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. ill give you a 1000 dollars for that blanket haha

    ReplyDelete
  23. amazing work, but are you sure it was crocheted? i knit, and i can tell by some of those stitches that it was knitted.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Onenitestans....I believe I read that this was done in Tunisian crochet, which can resemble knit. I crochet(and knit) like a mad woman and can tell that it's definitely crochet.

    Wonderful, wonderful job!!! I'm amazed at the work you did on this and it must have taken up a good chunk of time. Designing, the charts, the math that was involved...I am BLOWN away! My kids and my husband are all begging me to make one now lol. Congrats on a job VERY well done. I am impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  26. All the picture are not showing for some reason:( I tried 3 different browsers & I still can't see all of them:(

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey Luvs2Knit! I actually took the pics down and will put them back up after a little editing. :) Check back in the near future and they'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I just love love LOVE this blanket! You have inspired me to learn tunisian crochet, and now I have had some time to practice, will start on a similar project myself - thanks to you! I can send you a link, when I have something to show. I do not mean to nag on you, but I would really love to see the pictures you have deleted from this page!
    You are my HERO!
    Lots of love from Norway.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yay! I'm so glad you are inspired to try Tunisian. Just a word of caution- it's VERY addicting! Ooooh....and an "out of town" visitor! I'd love to visit Norway someday. :) The pictures will be up as soon as I get time to work on them- promise :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. So amazing! Now I really want to try Tunisian. I hope to make a football one for my husband next year for his birthday or Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  31. i would really love a copy of your mario blanket i am willing to pay for a copy please email me at bottomsup1214@excite please with your answer. thank you rose.

    ReplyDelete
  32. WOW... that's cool. Any chance you might have a pattern for sale? I'll offer 1000 coins ;)

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is absolutely AMAZING!! I'm blown away at the detail and everything you were able to incorporate into your panels... IN CROCHET!! You, m'dear, are a genius. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete