Sunday, March 21, 2010

Spring Is In the Air

I'm sooo thankful that spring is in the air.  The temps are rising and the sun is shining. The days are getting longer and I can just feel myself getting happier by the day.  I love all seasons of the year; however, I must admit that I really do love it when the days start getting longer and it becomes warm enough to work in the garden.  Starting tomorrow, my garden is going to be filled with the seeds of life that will bring forth the ever so tasty tomatoes, cucumbers, peas, and other veggies I end up planting.  I actually bought 2 raspberry, 2 black raspberry, and 2 blueberry bushes to plant this year.  I CANNOT WAIT!

To celebrate this wonderful season, I made some tasty, springy, sandwiches for my Mister and me.  I used:

2 slices of my low-cal/high fiber bread (80 kcal)
3 oz canned chicken breast (would be great with fresh, but use whatcha got) (60 kcal)
1oz luscious creamy brie (100 kcal)
1 Tbs low fat mayo (50 kcal)
some Grey Poupon
1/4 C fresh organic spring spinach and field greens
and 2Tbs canned cranberries we had left over from Thanksgiving.  (50 kcal)

= ~375 kcal of spring time deliciousness

The tartness of the cranberries and the pungency of the Dijon mustard creates a fresh, spring flavor explosion in my mouth.  I wish I had some fresh baguette to utilize with this tasty treat.  Crack open a chilled bottle of crisp Sauvignon Blanc while eating this delicious sandwich and you will be transported to an outdoor bistro filled with sunshine and the glorious smells of freshly baked bread.   My Mister loved this sandwich- I know you will too.  Thank God for Spring!




4 comments:

  1. Gege-
    Thank you for the yummy looking recipe. I am excited to try it.

    I did find the fantastic Roasted Red Pepper Tomato soup from another post of yours. Oh My is that Yumm-O!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm so glad you tried the Roasted Red Pepper Tomato soup!! Did you mix it with the Butternut Squash soup, as well? If not, you are missing out, my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not tried the Butternut Squash soup. I'll have to look for it on my next Costco run. Thanks for the tip.

    Keep the yummy advice coming. Sandwiches, Soups and Wine..Oh My!

    ReplyDelete