Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Hooks, Books, and Me.

Last night I did something that I hadn't done in a few months.  I read.  Shhhh!  Don't tell my hooks and yarn!  I still feel like I'm cheating on them when I pick up my books, but in all honesty, my books are my first love. I keep practicing in the mirror saying, "Listen, Hooks.  You are the "other woman" so you shouldn't be jealous about the time I spend with my Books. So....there."  (I resist the urge to stick out my tongue at them because that would just be silly.) Just as I get my courage up to tell them in person, I realize that the Hooks are the ones who can gouge out my eyeballs when I'm asleep whereas my Books can merely give me a paper cut.  However, if the Books were able to find the lemons and sadistically squirt my paper cut, or if they decide to band together and "accidentally" drop on my head, then I may need to forgo all relations with either Hooks or Books and....sleep more.  Hmmm....that may not be a bad idea since I am now picturing an army of Books that look a lot like Whomps slowly doing their death march holding the Hooks as weapons doing the "Oh eeee oh....ohhhh oh," chant from the Wizard of Oz.  Yipes.  Must.Sleep.More.

So, I stayed up till 2 am ravishing finishing off my book.  Hey!  It's been a long absence and we just got caught up in our torrid affair!  One page turned into another and....we just got carried away.  Don't judge me.

What literary trollop had me stray from my hooks, you ask?  Anne of Green Gables.  Now, I am terribly ashamed of this.  No, not that it was a "children's book"- some of my favorite books are "children's books."  It's just that.....I can barely get the words out.....I had never read it before.  WHAT?!?  I KNOW!  I am ashamed.  What kind of book obsessed poseur am I?  I have been reading since I was 3 years old.  Laura Ingles Wilder's The Long Winter was the first chapter book I read- I was 6 in first grade.  We had a Book Caterpillar that would "walk" along the wall, growing a leg with each book the students read throughout the year.  I made up more than half of that caterpillar all by my lonesome- it almost made it around all four walls.  In the fifth grade, we went to the library every two weeks and were allowed to check out 2 books each.  The librarian would hold me after my class left and let me check out 5.  I first read Are You There God?  It's Me, Margaret that year and would secretly chant, "I must, I must, I must increase my bust!" while flapping my arms like a Dolly Parton obsessed duck in my bedroom.  When I finally read the Harry Potter series, I read all 6 books that were out at the time in between Christmas and New Years. I've since read them through twice more.  I love reading the classics and have all of Jane Austen's canon as well as the Bronte sisters', and most of Agatha Christie's.  

I truly love to read.  How is it that I have never read Anne???  I have no idea and I'm actually sad that I didn't read it as a child since I found a "kindred spirit" in that carrot topped, impish little girl.  The similarities between Anne and me are quite striking- impulsive, chronic daydreamers who love to read, have a flair for the dramatic, and graduated first in their class.  (Yes, I was class Valedictorian- don't act so surprised.....jerks.)  Where Anne beats me is that she can both knit AND crochet!  She and I would have been the best of friends growing up.  My in-laws bought me the first two books of the series for Christmas (along with To Kill a Mockingbird, which I have read previously) and I am just now getting to them.  I hang my head in shame.

Now, just so I won't seem like such an adulterer (or maybe to prove how much I like to play the field), I did crochet for most of the morning yesterday. I'm just about done with the Chocolate Strawberry purse (I need to finish the flap, but I need to take pictures of it for the pattern), and I made another Tri-Colored purse (I need a better name for those purses.....any suggestions out in blog land?) in blues and browns so that I'll have the pattern for both the hard and soft handled purses.  Yay me!

So, you see- I am perfectly capable of having more than one love.  I started on a new purse today- it makes me giggle and blush thinking about it.  I think I will be faithful to that tonight.  Wait.....what's that?  Why Helloo there, Anne of Avonlea.  How YOU doin'?

7 comments:

  1. Yes you are an avid reader. I can tell. We always had books everywhere as kids, partly due to our librarian mother. (That's about the only gifts she gives to this day.) I always picked the fiction books with characters that I could relate to. So I'm pretty familiar with Margaret and other Judy Blume books. My brother always picked non-fiction. So whose scores were higher? Ha Ha, but hey I enjoyed my books too. :-)

    I used to stay up and read by lamp or flashlight underneath the covers until I finished the book. So first it was children's fiction. Later it became auto-biographies that read like fiction. Then mysteries (Ahh, Mary Higgins Clark...) At some point in my adult teacher-life I realized that I was only reading books I assigned my students. So I snooped around a library and started reading a little. One summer I devoted my time to reading books by Latino authors. My favorite trilogy/memories from that season was by Esmeralda Santiago. Gotta check her out.

    Sorry for the long post. Still dreaming about writing my own book so I started with this post. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to find another "kindred spirit." :) Have you ever read Isabelle Allende? Wonderful story teller. :) I can't wait to see the book you end up writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gege,

    Oh my goodness! I LOVED reading Lucy Maud Montgomery, I've read all of her Anne Series books, the first one I think it was three times. Don't know if you've looked already(sp?)(or maybe already have them?) but, the rest of the Anne series books are on the Gutenberg site.
    Just in case you don't know.

    I spent an entire summer, just reading that series. I like old literature actually, and kind of like people and how they were of that time.

    Enjoy your reading time!

    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip, Anon. I have the first two books, but will need the rest of the series in the very near future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gege,

    Your welcome. Just a tip, in case you don't have an e-reader or don't want to read from the computer all of the time.

    Print the entire book out, then use a hole puncher to make holes for a large notebook to put the "book" in, it's a bit larger than regular book size, but, if your reading mostly at home, it shouldn't be a problem.

    When your finished reading that particular book, just store in a plastic file with label in it's entirety and switch your next book to your notebook for convenience.

    Also the site I mentioned, this one actually,

    http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

    are all Public Domain books, so no problem with copyright and such.

    take care

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol soo funny - Whomps/Books with hook weapons. I'm afraid I'm in the same boat with you, although I had a big ordeal where I moved from books to Kindle. I felt I was doing them wrong, but they were doing me wrong making my bags weigh so much when traveling! Anyway, your post totally brought me back to my elementary school library, and I totally want to go back and re-read everything now (including Anne). Thanks for the chuckle today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anon- thanks! I never knew about that site!

    Leitadala- ahhh, yes....I love rereading some of my all-time favorites. The Westing Game and A Wrinkle in Time are two that always take me back to my book obsessed childhood. I've debated whether or not to get a kindle.....I think I'm just too much of a fuddy duddy to get one just yet.......I reserve the right to change my mind in the future....

    ReplyDelete