Thursday, March 18, 2010

National Gege Crochet and Nutrition Month

Ok peeps- I promised yesterday to reveal more about my sister's inability to fully appreciate the handmade gifts I make for her as well as pictures of my blocked L.A.D.Y Stole of Transformation.  However, I had a late day at work and was not able to take pictures of the items needed...........and.......I didn't finish said stole until this morning, so it wasn't blocked.  Shocking, I know. Instead of crocheting last night, I spent way too much time on the interwebs than I should have- but don't tell my Mister that I said that.  He's suspected that for years but has not had any tangible proof, such as a very public confession, as of yet.  Mister, if you are reading this, I swear, Sis has hacked my account and I cannot be held accountable for any out-of-character confessions stated at this time.  She's evil!  H...e....l....p.....m...e.......

(Sis, if you are reading this, I'm totally sorry for the evil-eyes Mister is giving you right now.  I swear, he's totally nutso and I don't know what to do with him anymore.  He's evil! H...e....l....p.....m...e.......)

Ok......I'm pretty sure they are both battling it out right now to defend my honor.  I may be feeling a tad bit guilty for not being exactly truthful to my most beloved ones, but....Meh.  I'll get over it.

March is an awesome month for me.  It's filled with things that I love, including my Mister's birthday.  Last year at this time, I was *thiiiiis* close to finishing my Super Mario Blanket.  It's quite appropriate that I finished it in March since, as any good crocheter worth her yarn knows, March is National Crochet Month (or NatCroMo for you cool cats with the hip crochet lingo. Yo and word to your motha.) That is so beyond awesome.  As I crochet at work, I quite happily tell my boss people, "Why yes, I'm crocheting because it's National Crochet Month, so you can't fire me." I walk the halls quite proudly as the resident office Hooker. (Tee hee!)  I actually did finish my stole this morning at work, so it will actually be blocked tonight (or tomorrow, depending on how long it takes me to finish this post.....and surf the internet....)

Not only is March NatCroMo, but it's also National Nutrition Month.  What?!?  I KNOW!  March is like the best month ever!  My love of all types of fiber is celebrated during this wonderful month.  The birth of my One True Love occurred during this wonderful month.  AND Spring, the season that chases away nasty Old Man Winter back into the abyss from whence he came, occurs during this wonderful month.  I love you, March.

Since I've shared quite a bit of the crochet part of my life, I've decided to share some of the Nutrition part of my life today in honor of NatNutMo.  (hmmmm.....sounded much cooler in my head.....)

I really love the math part of nutrition- I love figuring out how many calories, carbohydrates, protein, and fat people should consume per day. The amount of calories, carbohydrates, protein, and fat a person needs depends on a few things- gender, activity level, and age to name a few.  It is recommended that you should consume 50-55% of your daily calories from carbohydrate, 15-20% from protein, and no more than 30% from fat. I am not a proponent of no/low carb diets- moderation and smart choices are the keys, my friends.  I hate to break it to you, but there is no magic bullet for weight loss. If there was, America would be filled with a bunch of really thin people instead of being 68% overweight and/or obese (BMI >/= 25). 

A rule of thumb for figuring out caloric needs that doesn't take into consideration gender, activity level, and age is this:

25-30 cals/kg for weight loss
30-35 cals/kg for weight maintenance
35-40 cals/kg for weight gain

Generally, women should stay towards the lower end of the range and men at the higher.

EX: a female who weighs 130 pounds who wants to maintain her weight.

130 pounds/2.2 kg/pound = 59.1 kg * 30-35 cals/kg = 1773-2068.5 calories per day.

Using 1800 calories, figuring out her carbohydrate, protein, and fat needs:

50 - 55% carbohydrate = 900 - 990 cals
15 - 20% protein = 270 - 360 cals
30% fat = 595 cals

Since carbohydrates and protein have 4 calories/gram, and fat has 9 calories/gram, we can also figure out that she needs:

225 - 247.5 g carbohydrate
67.5 - 90 g protein
66 g fat

See? Easy peasy. ;)  I'm a very big proponent of keeping track of the number of servings per food group instead of calorie counting.  I want to make sure people are learning how to eat healthfully rather than going on a diet.  When you go "on" a diet, you can go "off" a diet.  When you learn to eat healthfully, your "diet" is part of your everyday life. Note: eating healthfully does not equate eating only organic, non-fat foods that taste like cardboard.  While fiber truly is very important in a diet, one does not have to eat food that tastes like tree bark to be "healthy." 

I truly think that if there was more of an emphasis on healthy eating rather than an unattainable body type for women (men are affected by this, too, but mostly women) as portrayed by the media, then most folks would be able to have a healthy relationship with food rather than the destructive and unhealthy love/hate relationship that is prevalent today.  

Eat well. Exercise often. Be healthy in mind and body.  

See! National Gege Crochet and Nutrition Month.  Best.Month.Ever.

3 comments:

  1. Hey there! I have been following you for a while now and I just wanted to say that you are amazing! I love your writing style and all the fun things you crochet (and I don't even crochet! I am a knitter - but because of you I plan to learn to crochet!) and I also appreciate your healthful eating tips. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gege-
    Thanks for the formula to eating right. I agree that is more important than dieting.
    To a healthier USA!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exclusive- yayayay! Thank you so much for your comment. I'm so glad that I've encouraged you to try crochet. :)

    Tracy- I'll be putting up more health and nutrition tips for the remainder of the month...maybe even a recipe or two....yum!

    ReplyDelete