Saturday, January 15, 2011

Help Me, Ronda...Help, Help Me, Ronda....

Now that I've got that song stuck in your head, today will be the first guest blog post by my friend Ronda.  We've known each other since college- she was even one of my bridesmaids!  We are both Nutritionists and, years after college, even studied together to be ACE certified personal trainers.  She is my "wild and crazy" crocheting buddy I told you about in the fall when I took a trip back home.  Her first blog post is pretty timely- all about keeping those healthy New Year's resolutions.  But, I'll let her tell you herself....  Thanks, Ronda!!

***************************************************************************

Hey Everybody!


It is time to make those New Year resolutions.  How many times have you said, “My resolution will be to eat better, exercise more and lose weight” or some variation of that?  How many times have you failed only to see the scale tipping more the next year?  I am hoping that I can help you throughout the year. 

I am a mother of three and very busy home schooling my two oldest girls and trying to keep my 3 year old son out of trouble.  In my free time I have to keep the house running and unfortunately sometimes meals take a back burner to my life.  I am a RD (Registered Dietitian) as well as a Personal Trainer, so I should have no excuses- eating well and exercising should be my priority, my first love.  In actuality I struggle like everyone else. My resolution is to exercise more and eat better.  Surprise…. 

So many people fail to keep their resolutions and the primary reasons are because they don’t have a plan- no real goal set.  A goal should be something that is obtainable and can be followed.  Just saying, “I will eat better,” doesn’t cut it.  You must say how you will eat better.

For example, I have a meal plan that I will follow.  It looks like this chart below.


Milk









Vegetables








Fruit









Starch








Meat









Fat









Exercise














Each colored square is a serving of food (we’ll go over what exactly a “serving” is later on) and my goal is to mark off each square every time I eat a serving.  This is an obtainable goal and by following this I will lose weight.  Now this meal plan was made specifically for me so not everyone can follow this.  Some people need more calories and some need fewer depending on their size and the amount of exercise they do. 

I also must have a plan for exercising.  I can’t just say, “I will exercise more.”  Remember it has to be obtainable.  Instead I say, “I plan to exercise on the treadmill Monday-Friday at 6am-6:45am.  That will include warm up and cool down.  At 3pm I plan to resistance train.”  I do have a more specific plan for that but I don’t want this to be too daunting.

I have high hopes that this year will be the year that you will meet those New Year resolutions.  I also hope that I can give hope to those struggling.  I, as a dietitian and personal trainer have successes and failures, too.  That is life but we can walk through it together.  Until next time!        

No comments:

Post a Comment