Monday, October 24, 2011

Weekly Menu

Alllllrighty then. So my menu planning is a day late, but it ends up being a good thing for me since I would have planned a meal for tomorrow night but found out today that we have a thing we have to attend at which they will be serving food. FREE FOOD. Oh yeah, baby. I’m all up in that bizniz. I don’t have to cook and it’s FREE. However, if it is free and full of cheese, I may very well become very cranky and make a terrible first impression on these people and that would be….not.good.captain.

I can just see it now- I’ll be tired and starving- already a recipe for disaster- and they’ll serve pizza and cheesecake and say nice things like, “So nice to meet you!” And I’ll reply, “Whatever, queer. This party blows and I hope you choke on your delicious pizza and gooey cheesy goodness. Loser.” And then My Mister will be ashamed and shout to the heavens, “WHY?! Why did I have to marry a cheese lover?? WHYYY???” while shaking his fists in despondence.

So, in other words, please pray that they have some dairy free foods for me because seeing My Mister shaking his fists in despondence may make me laugh and that won’t be good for our marriage since you should never laugh at your husband when he is despondent.

ANYwho… I’ll only be cooking twice this week, which is awesome. Although I do enjoy cooking, I also enjoy spending time with both my Misters while relaxing and letting the microwave do its magic, ya know?

Tonight we had leftovers from the Lecso I made on Saturday. We loved it! Definitely going into my regular rotation- thanks Kara! I used both red and green peppers, canned tomatoes, and ended up using brown rice instead of Jasmine since I ran out of Jasmine when I made the paella. For those of you who don’t think you’ll like brown rice, try making it with chicken or beef broth for some amazing flavor. Seriously- every time I make brown rice, My Mister always mentions how good it is. Give it a try! For those vegetarians out there, instead of chicken or beef broth, you should probably suck on some rocks because what good is life if you can’t eat dead animals? I’m already giving up the cow juice but it will be a cold day in hell before I give up the entire cow.

For Wednesday, I am going to try Thai Basil Beef with Rice Noodles from Cooking Light. (OH LOOK! A cow!) Looks promising and I have been in the mood for Asian food lately, so crossing my fingers that this will be a winner.

For Friday, I’m breaking out the slow cooker and making a beef pot roast. (MORE COW!) I’ll trim the fat and then season it with salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme, and garlic and brown it on all sides before placing it in the slow cooker. I’ll cut up some potatoes and add some baby carrots and sliced onions and then place the beef on top. Throw in a couple bay leaves and about 1/2C beef broth and set it on slow for ~6 hours. I’ll serve a side salad and some bread to sop up the juice. I’ll also make a packet of brown gravy…hopefully I can find them here. No added fat and VERY tasty.

I’m always on the lookout for some good crock pot recipes. Have any to share?? Also, I’m really looking for a good meatloaf recipe. I remember how my mom would make them when I was a kid but, even though she’s an amazing cook, meatloaf wasn’t one of my favorites. I’ve actually never made one since we’ve been married and I’d really like to give it a go. So, if you have a good meat loaf recipe, please let me know!!


Til next time....

4 comments:

  1. It is soooo much easier when I write a menu out! I try to do 2 weeks at a time and then everyone can just check the menu board instead of complaining about being hungry :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alice will do this to you :0.....as for the beef gravy, I don't think they will have the common mix you are expecting, but I think they did have jar gravy.....easy to make though.....1/2 cup butter, heat close to high until melted....add flour (maybe 1/2 to 3/4 C)....stir quickly and then add beef broth....it will be very thick very quickly....turn down the heat and add milk or water stirring very quickly to get rid of lumps (I like milk, but for your purpose, water will work fine and give you a nice gravy) You put enough liquid in that it is slightly "runnier" than you want it and then heat it almost boiling until you get the thickness you desire (add salt/pepper as needed)

    I want a meatloaf recipe as well....I have not made one in years because I personally didn't like my mothers either, but my kids eat it at restaurants so I suspect they would enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. TWO weeks??? Allison, you're my hero. ;) I'm struggling to just plan out 1 week in advance, but I do agree it's nice to know exactly what I'm going to make rather than just staring at the pantry and hoping for inspiration and then going to Chik-Fil-A (which we can't do anymore...drat)

    Tami- Oh poo. I'll look for the bag of gravy mix just in case they've started carrying it recently but will make homemade if I have to. *SIGH*. Something that I loved eating with the pot roast was brie with a baguette to soak up the juices....oh when will Little Mister outgrow this allergy??? Hopefully someone will post a meatloaf recipe- if not, I'm going to start experimenting with different recipes and see which one we like the best. It's always hit or miss with meatloaf, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gege...not a meatloaf recipe but something even better. Back around 3rd grade,we'd beg Mom for a quarter so we could buy lunch on Spoon Burger day. Mrs. Christensen kindly re-worked her recipe into family-size so we could beg Mom to make them at home on the weekend. I have actually made them into a meatloaf but the "gravy" soaks all it's yummy goodness into the Spoon Burgers better. So here goes:

    Meat Potatoburgers or Spoon Burgers

    1 1/4 # Ground Beef
    3/4# Ground Pork
    1 1/4# Chopped or Shredded Potatoes (you could use frozen hashbrowns, but they are yummiest if you cut the potatoes into matchstick size)

    1C chopped onion
    3 eggs
    1T salt...if I recall, this is too much...try half that amount and microwave a bit to taste-test.

    "Gravy"
    2T Flour
    7/8 cup Tomato Juice

    1) Squish all except gravy ingredients together and then set aside.

    2) Blend flour with small amount of tomato juice while heating the remaining juice. Add the flour mixture and stir constantly until slightly thickend.

    3) Form the Spoon Burgers with a 1/2 cup size ice cream scoop or form a 1/2 cup portion into balls. Place the burgers on a foil-lined cookie sheet with edges, pour gravy over each one and then Bake@ 375 for about 45 min. or until desired doneness.

    Here are the proportions for what Mrs. Christensen used for school lunches. Might come in handy if you want to make and freeze ahead. You could foil-line bread pans to bake for easy clean-up AND to ready-wrap for freezing your meatloaf.

    10# Beef
    5# Pork
    10#, 4oz Potatoes
    3# Onions
    4 oz salt
    25 eggs
    1C flour
    1 gallon & 1 1/2 qt. Tomato Juice.

    I imagine that since you are in the land of Yummy Lamb-ness, you could substitute lamb for the beef and use your jar gravy. I think some fresh rosemary, thyme or oregano with some garlic would make those burgers outstanding. Hmmm...come to think of it, sounds like it'd be delicious grilled and served with an au jus on a yummy Naan-like flatbread.

    Hope you enjoy them even if you don't have the childhood memories to go along with them.

    BTW vanilla Almond milk is delicous with cereal too. Good Day to Ya!

    ReplyDelete