Monday, November 10, 2008

Winter watermelons are the best!

Ah yes...summertime... Bright sunny days, everything's in bloom, and you just want to enjoy a nice, cool, juicy slice of watermelon. The refreshing juice bursting in your mouth and dribbling down your chin... the firm red flesh satisfying both your hunger and your thirst....the awesome spitting contests you totally win each and every time (and sometimes even using watermelon seeds!). Awww yeah....watermelons are the best.

This set was made for my sis. We saw a bowl (it might have been felted, actually...I don't remember) that looked like a watermelon and she wanted to know if I could make her a hat like that. I, being ever so humble, said, "Pshaw silly girl! But of course I can! I can do anything!" And then I proceeded to cackle like kitty-Yzma on Emperor's New Groove. ("And then when I turn into myself, I am going to kill you! Hhahahahahahahaha!")

Ahem....back to the watermelons.....I then had to think of how to make a watermelon hat, with the seeds, and make it look different than other crocheted hats. I love the creative process. :) Once I figured it out, I decided I couldn't just make her a hat and not have a scarf to go with it, now could I?

Watermelon hat and scarf set


Here are details of both the hat and scarf:

Watermelon hat detail Watermelon scarf detail

And, of course some ACTION SHOTS!! POW POW!

Watermelon hat and scarf set

Watermelon hat and scarf set

Since a couple of my sister's coworkers fell in love with them and her scarf has been fawned over since she started wearing it, I think I'm going to make these available on my etsy store (a different set, of course...my sis is pretty much in love with hers. I actually want a set for myself...why do I always make other people the nice things??? I've yet to make myself a purse!). I think both the finished objects and quite possibly the patterns.... I'm not sure yet...I've never written a pattern before. We'll see...

8 comments:

  1. I would buy said pattern~TOO CUTE! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an adorable set. BTW I totally get the Emperor's New Groove reference. I love that movie and now I'm going to have to go through dd's dvds to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this set, its adorable. BTW I totally get the movie reference. That's one of my favorite movies ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! Sandi, I am just going to have to bite the bullet and write out the pattern. This is a good thing, though, since I really do want to make myself a set. Perhaps in red instead of pink...hmmm...

    RusticOkie, Squeak, squeakity squeak squeak, squeakums. HA! I love Kronk!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome set! Saw it on Craftster. It's very unique and cool.

    "Bee dooby dooby doo, doo doo, doo do..."

    "Oh, no, he's doing his own theme music?!?! I am SO glad I was asleep during this part!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this set. Its too cute with the pony beads for "seeds". Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd like to thank you for sharing this project, I am a beginner and I did the scarf for my son - not watermelon, but a tweed kind of yarn. I love the texture of the pattern.

    thank you again!
    God bless you and I wish you a great 2011!

    E.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Elaine! I love hearing back from people who have made items from my patterns. :) I really loved the texture this stitch combo made, too. Kinda mixed it up from just straight crochet, which makes it a little more interesting. (Or at least I think so) :) Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete