Thursday, April 7, 2011

The One Where I Talk About Fiber

Whew! Got to come home "early" today. Had an actual 8 hour work day rather than my normal 9-10 and I really didn't know what to do with myself when I came home. Do I clean out my car and find out what that funky smell is? Should I scoop the cat liter and get rid of that funky smell emanating from the liter box room (AKA the bathroom)? Should I clean out the fridge and find where that funky smell is coming from?  Oh look! There's food in the fridge! It must be time to eat!  What's that funky smell?

So, I cleaned out my car and fridge and rid the vicinity of the funky smell.  Ha! No I didn't! You guys are so gullible. Of course I ate. While wearing nose plugs.

My super healthy and well balanced dinner consisted of Fiber One Carmel Delight or, as I like to call it, Cereal Crack.  It really wakes you up and gets you going in the morning. I LOVE this stuff. It is soooo good!  I honestly think it's because I've not been eating it for breakfast for the past few days that I am now suffering some backup of the intestinal kind. Because there's a backup, new food has a hard time going down which is bringing back my epic belching episodes that I was hoping were finished over a month ago.  I also wonder if my little Geekling is just chilling on my colon thus putting a kink in the hose and making me MIS-ER-ABLE. (I did eat before my Mister got home because 1) he was running late 2) we had leftovers from last night he could eat and 3) I am truly unable to eat a large meal since NOTHING IS COMING OUT. Well, little rabbit turds, but seriously, those do not count.)

Now, as a nutritionist who counsels pregnant women all the time, I know what I'd tell my clients. Increase your fiber intake, increase your fluid intake, and try to move around as much as you can. Well, I really do try to practice what I preach as much as I can. Instead of my Fiber One Cereal Crack, I've been eating Kashi Go Lean Crunch Honey Almond cereal with sliced banana in it. It's high fiber, high protein, and I've needed the potassium from the banana since I've been retaining water a lot lately. (I'm actually pretty sodium sensitive- I eat a little bit of salt and turn into Spongebob Squarepants slightly lumpier older sister: SpongeGege Hugeboobs. Seriously, within 30 minutes of eating a salty meal my pants will feel tight on my waistband and thighs. Not.Comfortable.Captain.)

Nutrition Tidbit: Eating a banana or other potassium rich food will help your body regulate the excess sodium and will help relieve you of the water retention bloat.

I also eat fruit, veggies, high fiber bread for my lunch sandwiches, and drink 80+ oz non-caffeinated fluid per day.  I've even been taking Metamucil pills at night which usually brings sweet relief the next morning. The only thing I've not been able to do is be as active as I would like. I've been getting home, making dinner, eating dinner in front of my TV and then zoning out in front of the internetz for an hour or so, taking a shower and going to bed. Yes, my Mister and I do eat dinner in front of the TV. It's a favorite past time and is going to be a very difficult habit to break once our Geekling is here and we try to instill good family habits and start eating at the dinner table. However, since for the first six months my Geekling's dinner table is going to be Jupiter and Saturn, AKA my boobs, we can continue our nightly routine for the next 9 months or so.

Nutrition Tidbit: there are two types of fiber: soluble and insoluble. Soluble fiber is the one that can help lower cholesterol (e.g. oat bran) where insoluble fiber helps gets things moving through the intestines (e.g. whole wheat).

I used to be able to finish my dinner and then go work out from about 8-10pm. I used to really enjoy doing that and, truth be told, feel really guilty that I'm not doing that now. However, now I'm just so freaking exhausted and am letting the lazies take over. There's only so much you can do during the day and sometimes I choose to blog rather than exercise.  So, it's all y'alls fault that I'm constipated.  I hope you're happy with yourselves.

Ok, ok. So my own bad habits might have a little something to do with it. I do think that my lack of exercise in the evening is part of the reason my tailbone has been killing me lately.  (Btw: I received my coccyx pillow this weekend but it was not the miracle worker I was hoping it was going to be. *sadface*). So, my goal for the rest of the week is to get in at least 30 minutes of walking during the evening. Knowing me, once I get on my treadmill and get a movie going, that 30 minutes will easily become an hour, which would be awesome.  I know I can handle it- we spent 3 hours walking in DC this weekend and, apart from having to walk slower than normal, I did much better than I thought I was going to- yay me!

So, I'm hoping to finish up this blog post early and get my patootie on my treadmill- the Tenth Kingdom awaits. (Nicey Nice!) Hopefully things will get moving in the right direction for me soon, which will help alleviate a lot of issues, including my water retention issue.  And, quite possibly eliminate that funky smell that seems to follow me everywhere I go.

PS: Because Kuddles requested them in the comments. :)



26 weeks- finally have a bump!


Errr....3 bumps....

3 comments:

  1. oooooo how cute you are with your bump hon! Love it!

    And no hurry on those patterns to be tested....whenever you are ready...kuddles will be here!

    kuddles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm just happy it now looks like a bump rather than just bloat- he's been growing a bit these last couple weeks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, I thought "fiber" was going to be a post about yarn or fabric, you are hilarious!

    stop by and visit, we must keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete