Monday, April 20, 2009

Holy Julie Newmar Batman!

I love cats. My family has always had cats for as long as I can remember. Granted, we also had dogs, birds, hamsters, chickens, ducks, fish, and even a pig. Actually- just a random factoid for ya- the fate of that pig is the reason why my sister is now a vegetarian.... Ahhh....nothing like country living. But I digress. If I wasn't married, I'd most likely be the crazy cat lady that lives down the street with fifteen cats roaming around my house and yard, muttering to myself all day long. Every now and then I do get the urge to channel Eartha Kitt (the only REAL Catwoman of color) and say, "You're purrrrfect darling," when I pass a mirror. Teehee!

So, I've been wanting to make a cat-eared hat for the longest time; however, I never found a pattern that really called out to me. This all changed just a few days ago when I was looking at and petting my yarn stash (Oh, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways!) The preciousness that caught my attention was the glow-in-the dark yarn that I've had for a while but didn't have a clue what I should create with it. Inspiration came a-knockin' my friends.

Most patterns I've seen seem to be a simple rectangle that is folded over and sewn together; however, the ears never seemed to be cat-like enough for my taste. There are also some that are plain hats with crocheted ears sewn on at the end. I hate sewing things together and avoid it whenever I can. So, I got tinkering with some yarn and with an increase here and a decrease there, I was able to get a cat-eared hat that really worked for me.

cat hat up close

See! The points actually look like cat ears! WOOO ME!

My sister's cat wanted in on my photo shoot, yet surprisingly didn't really enjoy being a model. Shame- he was such a natural.

cat hat baxter2

Although, I did get the point that he wanted out of his contract when he sliced my arm off- that darn cat.

cat hat baxter

The best part? IT FREAKING GLOWS IN THE DARK! Muahahahaha!

Another thing I've been working on is a purse inspired by my scarves.

catherine watermelon bag

Yes, I do have a thing for watermelons. My bag isn't complete- I'm looking for fabric with which to line it. However, I am writing up the pattern for it and my dear friend has offered to test it out for me, so I'll hopefully have it available in the very near future.

But, what I DO have is a pattern for my Cat Lady Hat!! It's not been tested, so if you do make it, please let me know if you find any mistakes. Enjoy!

MATERIALS
Black WW yarn (Color A)- not a whole lot- maybe an ounce or 2
Glow in the dark WW yarn (Color B)- ditto

Size 5.5 mm (U.S. I/9) crochet hook

NOTE:
To change colors, work the last stitch until 2 loops are left on the hook, then pull the new color through to complete the stitch. I carried the unused color throughout the work to avoid weaving in ends. I hate weaving in ends.

Also, if you do use glow in the dark yarn, keep in mind that it does NOT have any stretch to it at all. So, you may want to go up a hook size if you want it a tad looser.....

chain 3 does count as first dc

ABBREVIATIONS & TERMS
sc = single crochet

dc = double crochet

sc dec= Single Crochet Decrease (Insert hook in stitch indicated, yo, pull up loop, insert hook in next stitch, yo, pull up loop, yo, pull through remaining 3 loops on hook.)

dc dec =Double Crochet Decrease (Dc in stitch indicated, keeping last loop of the stitch on hook, dc in next stitch, yo and draw through all 3 loops on hook)

yo= yarn over

With black, ch 31

row 1: sc in second chain from hook. sc down row, changing color at end of row- 30 sc.

row 2: turn. with color B, chain 3 and dc down the row, changing color at end of row- 30 dc (including ch3)

row 3: Turn. with color A, ch 1, sc in same stitch, sc down row, changing color at end of row- 30 sc.

rows 4-11: repeat rows 2 and 3

row 12: Turn. With color B, ch 3. 1 dc in same stitch (increase made). 1 dc in next 2 stitches. dc dec over next 2 stitches. dc in next 20 stitches. dc dec over next 2 stitches. dc in next 2 stitches. 2 dc in last stitch, changing color at end of row. (32 dc total, but because of the decreases, you will still only have 30 stitches in which to work)

(NOTE: if you are carrying your unused color with each row, do not carry color B with row 13)

row 13: Turn. With color A, ch 1. 2 sc in first stitch (increase made). 1 sc in next 2 stitches. sc dec over next 2 stitches. sc in next 20 stitches. sc dec over next 2 stitches. sc in next 2 stitches. 2 sc in last stitch. DO NOT CHANGE COLOR. (32 sc total, but because of the decreases, you will still only have 30 stitches in which to work)

row 14: Turn ch1. Sc dec in 1st and 2nd stitch. 1 sc next 2 stitches. 2 sc next stitch. sc in next 20 stitches. 2 sc next stitch. sc dec last 2 stitches, changing color at end of the row.

row 15: Turn. With color B, chain 2. dc in next stitch. 1 dc next 2 stitches. 2 dc next stitch. dc in next 20 stitches. 2 dc next stitch. dc in next 2 stitches. dc decrease last 2 stitches, changing color at end of the row.

row 16: with color A, ch 1. sc in same stitch and down row. Do not sc in chain 2 of previous row. Change color at end of row- 30 sc.

row 17-26: repeat rows 2 and 3

Cut off yarns.

Fold hat in half and sew together by sc up each side- 1 sc in each sc and 2 sc in each dc.

Bottom band: Attach color A to any sc and sc around.

Repeat 5 more times. Cut off yarn. Weave in ends.

Voila!

Copyright 2009 Gege Crochet. All rights reserved. Pattern available for personal use only- please don't sell it- that's just not cool. Please don't post this pattern anywhere- you can provide a link back to here, though.

Meow Baby!

cat hat

33 comments:

  1. Mawie Wowie!!!it is awesome!!!i just love cats and stuff related to cats!!!it looks great on you...and you know what would make it purrrfect?...some mittens to match it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a Perrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrfect hat :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you!! Ally- hmmm...mittens....I likes the way you think . ;) I started one that is all black with pink for the ears- custom ordered by...my sister. She has more stuff that I've made than I do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I'm making your hat and I was having some trouble understanding some of the instructions. (I'm a newbie to the whole "making things that aren't scarves" idea.)

    Can you clarify some of them please?

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi im just wondering, i am a newbie too and started to make this but i ended up with something like 37st?! and i had to unpick it all. sigh. it didnt look the right shape either. can you clarify this bit in row 15: 2 dc next stitch. Is that 2dc in one stitch? I dont know where im going wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, "2dc next stitch" means to do 2 dc in the same stitch- it will make an increase in that stitch. In row 15, the initial ch2 does not count as a stitch- it is part of a dc-decrease. That is why the end of row 16 says, "Do not sc in chain 2 of previous row". Are you doing a dc-decrease at the end of row 15?

    At the end of each row, you should have 30 stitches. Can you find where you went to 31? If so, we may be able to find out what is going wrong. Let me know!

    Also- Zetsu- I just checked my email b/c your name seemed familiar. Turns out that I thought your comment was actually an email and replied to it....I just found out that it went to, "noreply-comment@blogger.com" I wondered why you never responded. Boy- do I feel like a dope. If you still read this, mea culpa!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a bit confused. i am new at corcheting and this is one thing I want to do so bad! So, how do you start it? I know you start with a chain but how big? and yeah.. i dunno the instructions are so confusing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made your hat! I had a little trouble around rows 13, 14 and 15, but all in all it was a really quick and easy pattern. And the effect is just awesome! I posted it on my DA account, giving a link back to this site and making sure they know that I just made the thing, not the pattern! Hope you check it out sometime!
    Linky Link: http://sanguinedisciple.deviantart.com/art/Holy-Julie-Newmar-Batman-180084552

    ReplyDelete
  9. SWEET! Thanks Anon!! I really love seeing pics of FO resulting from my patterns. And, I LOVE your color choices!! Mind if I use your pic in a future blog post??

    Also, what was the issue in rows 13-15? Like I said, it hasn't been tested, so if there is an error, please let me know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it very much.You are special! Sasi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bonjour Cousine,
    Je suis Nantais, je m'appelle Dominique CROCHET. Il y a beaucoup de familles CROCHET originaires de Vendée. (Challans exactement)
    Et vous ? d'ou venez vous ?
    Ma compagne vient de copier votre modèle de chapeau pour faire des cadeaux de Noël aux enfants de ma famille. Bravo et merci.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Sasi! I'm glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bonjour right back!

    I'm sorry I don't speak French- My Mister does, though, and he translated for me. :) While it may be possible that we are related somewhere down the line, "Crochet" is not my last name. Gege Crochet is just the name I chose for my blog. I hope the children loved their Christmas gifts!!

    All the best, Gege

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made this for a friend this month. I posted it on ravelry.com and linked back to your page. Thanks for a fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Heyy.. i only started crocheting a couple weeks ago but this pattern is my absolute favorite! :) i was looking all over for a kitty-kat. i made it in royal blue and gray and its fabulous and light weight for the summer.
    Your awesome :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Brittany! That is so awesome! I'm so glad you liked my pattern. :) I'd love to see a pic- email me one if you can. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for the pattern! I speak spanish, and don't understand at well English... but I promise to make the hat and show you the result!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wish you could make a video of how this is done x.x its so confusing after row twelve I guess cause I am just figuring out everything but I do love the hat! Hope to get it right one day

    ReplyDelete
  19. could you please make one without the color changes? if you have better things to do (u probly do lol) then will it change if i just ignore the "with color B", etc., parts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I did, you can do that will all crochet patterns.

      Delete
  20. also, do you think this would be ok for a beginner if i remove the color changes?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey metoob! Sorry for the delay in response! If you haven't done so already, yes, you can absolutely use just one color and, yes, it is definitely a good pattern for beginners. :) Just simple stitches and a few increases/decreases. Let me know if you have any other questions!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Is there a video of this hat somewhere? I've tried to make this hat about a dozen times and it keeps coming out wrong, and I'm following everything to the letter. Please help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When making it, I kept thinking I was gettig it wrong. It looks like a rectangle before sewing up the side, my advice is to just keep working until the end of the pattern. It's super simple! Good luck.(;

      Delete
  23. Nice! What are the increases and decreases for if it just ends up being a rectangle?

    ReplyDelete
  24. I made the hat while ignoring the color switches (all in blue) and it turned out great! The only issue I noticed was when finishing up row 16 I had to crochet into the 2 chain stitches to keep my stitch count at 30 :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the pattern, but I obviously need to use a bigger hook, cause it doesn't fit my dome. Disadvantage of crocheting super super tightly, I guess. :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. did you ever make the pattern for the catherine bag? im in love with it and cant find it anywhere........

    ReplyDelete
  27. Made this hat in a few hours. Did a puff stitch for the brim and used Christmas colors. I love it

    ReplyDelete
  28. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete