Monday, April 27, 2009

Gege.....Drywall...??

I didn't get any crocheting completed this past week. Zilch. Nada. Nothing. Even though that usually makes me go through a panic attack mode, this time I'm perfectly cool with it. My husband and I actually were on a short-term mission trip with our church this past Monday through Friday. We went to Philadelphia to help out with Rock Ministries- an awesome ministry set in one of the worst neighborhoods in not only Philly, but also the nation. Buddy Osborne and Paul Orr run The Rock- a safe environment where young men and women can come in off the street and work out, learn how to box and grapple, and even more importantly, learn about the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

The gym area is fully functional; however, the rest of their building needed a lot of work in order to fully realize the vision of Buddy and Paul. One of the areas that we worked on was an apartment on the 3rd floor of their building. It will be the residence for a full-time counselor/minister so that there will be 24 hour provision for any kids who may need it. This apartment is where I spent my entire week.

Two years ago, on another mission trip with our church, our team was surprised to find out that I had some hidden talents and abilities. You see, my dad is a drywall finisher and I worked with him and my younger brother for 7 years- from age 12 to 19. I not only know how to tape, mud and texture, but I'm also a darn good painter, if I do say so myself. So, since they knew there was going to be a lot of drywall work needed in this apartment, and since I was the only one with expert abilities in drywall finishing, I was requested to go on this trip and be in charge of the drywall work. Even though my team knew the extent of my abilities, by the look on their faces, I'm pretty sure some of the other construction workers at The Rock thought it was cute that a girl was the team's taper....until they saw my work. Here is a short video of me in action. :)



Eat your heart out Ty Bennington!

Let me tell ya- I hurt all over! I'm very glad I learned these skills from my dad; however, I'm eternally grateful I don't do it for a living! Although, I did forget how very in shape I was when I was working with my dad- dang. My hands and arms are especially sore and still a little swollen; however, it is worth it. The amount of work our entire team accomplished on this trip was astounding and I know that all the work we completed is for a great cause.

So, even though I took my crochet with me, I was too darn tired at the end of the day to do anything but crash on my air mattress. My sister's birthday was this past week and I'm working on a gift for her I know she's going to love. I was hoping to have most of it done by the time we got back, but no such luck on that. That's ok- we'll be celebrating this coming weekend, so I'll be able to showcase one of my very favorite projects pretty soon. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment