Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Back to the land of the living!

So, I've been pretty sick these last 2 weeks and have finally pulled through. Thankfully, it ended up NOT being strep so it's a good thing I didn't go to the Urgent Care right away- I'd have been angry with their incompetence yet again only to realize that they weren't the ones being incompetent and that's not fun.

I have been working on a few projects while I was at death's door (what? exagerate?? Moi??) but don't have anything complete as of this post. I have a couple of things allllmost done, but I like sharing pictures of the finished object....the big reveal! I tend to be a little bit of a perfectionist sometimes.... When there is something wrong with one of my WIPs, I put it away until I can figure out what the heck it is. It could be because of a color combination that just isn't right or, for a purse, it could be that I haven't quite figured out how to finish it- wrong handles or lining or....something. These are the things that I've been working on lately. My "oopsies."

When I cut my hair in December, I was working on a Princess Toadstool scarf to match the Mario one I made for my husband. I loved it while I was working on it and had maybe 2 or 3 more hours of work, including weaving in ends. However, there was just something "off" about it, so I stopped working on it. I finally figured out what it was! Actually, there was a bunch of stuff wrong with it....the main scarf was doubly wrong....the yarn itself was irking me and the pink was the wrong pink....the flesh color was not the color I had envisioned....the red was the wrong red....even the construction of the scarf was wrong- I really didn't like seeing the "wrong" side of the scarf with all the hidden ends from the tunisian crochet. It did not please me one bit Sam I Am.

So, I found a nearby Walmart that has not downsized it's craft department and they had the right pink for the main scarf and the right flesh color. W00t! I used Vanna's Choice yarn for the first time and must say that I really enjoyed working with it. Didn't enjoy the price, though. I think it's quite a rip off, actually. But, something so petty as money shan't dictate the genius of the artiste! (Said in my snootiest faux French accent). Thankfully, I found some coordinating colors at Joann's where they were on sale...whew! Anyway, I finally figured out how to construct the scarf in a way that will showcase the Princess while hiding the ugly backside and yet still be functional and, well, pretty. :) I'm finishing it up today, so I'll hopefully have some nice pics to showcase very soon.

I've also been working on my husband's Nintendo blanket...I'm so excited about this one! I have quite a few panels complete, but, again, I want to showcase the big reveal when I'm done. Although, I think I'll end up jumping the gun and showing it when all the panels are complete even though the ends aren't weaved in. I think I'll be weaving in ends for quite a while....

Anywho, that's an update for now. I will be finishing up my Princess scarf and will be shooting a tutorial on my scarves this week. Yay! I really do like shooting the videos. Oh, by the way, I haven't forgotten the video tutorial for lining a bag I promised eons ago. It's just that there was so much footage and we kinda got bogged down in the editing. As much as I'd like putting up a 3 hour video, me thinks it wouldn't be all that enjoyable to watch.....

Until next time....

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate how you talk about weaving in ends! LOL Sometimes my projects sit because I dread that step! I am looking forward to your tutorial. thanks!

    ReplyDelete