Sunday, February 15, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day!

I've actually been quite a Valentine's Day Grinch for just about forever. There's just something off putting about being forced to show love to someone with cards, flowers, and candy. I always get nervous around this holiday since I never know what is an appropriate Valentine's day gift. I realize this is ludicrous since I've been married for almost 10 years, so there's not much more impressing I can do for the guy- he already knows the good, the bad, and the ugly. I always feel guilty, too, since my husband usually always has a card and a thoughtful gift...I remember one year he got me the latest Kinsey Milhone mystery (I'm a huge book worm and LOVE Kinsey!)- HARD COVER....and I got him....a tie. Yipes.

Well, last year, we finally came to an agreement on how to make Valentine's Day enjoyable and memorable for us both. We decided that, instead of eating out at a restaurant and spending beaucoup bucks on a meal we'll most likely forget once we get home, we would instead come up with an elaborate meal and cook it together. You have no idea how wonderful this is! I love to cook and have tried, unsuccessfully, many times to get my hubby to join me in the kitchen. I think it's awful romantic....he thinks it's just awful. Well, it was his idea to cook with me and I LOVE IT! He even went through one of my cookbooks and came up with a menu for this evening. Seriously! I am so in love with this man. :)

We just spent the morning making dessert- a chocolate, cheesecake, pecan pie. I'm serious. It has a chocolate ganache on the bottom, a cheesecake middle, and a pecan pie topping. If it tastes half as good as it sounds (and looks!), then I'm sure we'll be making this for years to come. He found the recipe on a freebie mailing from some magazine...I want to say Southern Living or Fatten You Up....one or the other.

valentine's pie

We are just about to go to Wegmans and shop for the ingredients for the rest of the meal. He found a grilled tuna (though we'll sear it) white bean salad for the first course and a Greek wet rub for lamb chops with a side of orzo for the main course. I'm super excited! The best thing about eating at home is that we can polish off the bottle of wine (a Pinot Noir from the Russian River Valley in CA....high hopes for this one) and not worry about driving home. YAY!

Since we'll be shopping and cooking, it'll give my poor neck and hands a break from all the crocheting I've been doing. As I mentioned earlier, I've been working on my husband's Nintendo blanket. I have an elaborate map all worked out and it will consist of many different panels. Each panel takes about 8-12 hours to complete. I showed you the first panel earlier....I'll show just one more now. This is the latest one I completed and I'm over the moon pleased with how it came out. It is probably the most Nintendo geekiest of all the panels- it's Mario hopping the turtle in world 3-1! HAHAHAHAHAHA! I LOVE IT!

1up front

Here's a pic of the back so you can see what I have in store for me when I finally get around to weaving in the ends.

1up back

I think I may just give the blanket to him with all the ends out and tell him it's fringe.....hmmm....now there's a thought......

Happy Valentine's Day!

1 comment:

  1. That is too awesome! I hope you enjoy your meal!

    ReplyDelete