Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Under and Over the Weather

Ugh. That basically sums up how I feel right now. I am prone to having strep throat- always have been since I was a kid, though not often enough to warrant my tonsils to be removed. Well, I have a sore throat that is progressively getting worse and I'm running a low fever, but there's no tell-tale signs of disgusting white gunk (gross, I know) overtaking my tonsils. Unless that happens, I'm not going to go the Urgent Care clinic since I went there the last time I had strep and their quick test came back negative. They said it might be mono. Idiots, one and all! It was really awkward telling my husband that, too. "Umm...honey...the Dr. said it wasn't strep, even though I could have sworn it was....but...ummm...he said that itcouldbemono. Cough."

Even though he knew I wasn't out puckering up with other guys, there was that momentary questioning look that flickered across his eyes. By day 4, with a temperature of 104, I somehow drove myself to a different clinic 30 minutes away and they were able to accurately diagnose me with what I already knew I had. It was actually the worst bout of strep that I could remember. The antibiotics didn't seem to work and I had a fever of over 100 for 4 more days. I felt, and looked, like the living dead. That was about 2 years ago.

Right now, I'm really hoping it's not strep. But, since I rarely get a sore throat without it being strep, and since whatever is wrong with me is not affecting my nose or eyes (not dripping from either orifice), I'm pretty sure the white gunk is a-comin'. It wouldn't be so bad if the weather was just a little warmer than the inside of my freezer. When is spring going to get here??? Seriously- it's 25 degrees out and I really don't feel like crawling out of bed at all much less dragging my poor bedraggled self out in the arctic cold to an urgent care clinic full of imbeciles. Not that I get whiney when I'm sick or anything, but I don't wanna do it, ma! I don't wanna do it!!!

*Sigh* Well, today is a day that I'm just going to take it easy- drink lots of fluids, and stay curled up while reading. I just started reading Rebecca today. I love reading classics and feel like a dope for never hearing about this book before. It's not often that my sister has read a book that I haven't, but I am thankful that she introduced me to it. So, as I lay on my couch, snuggled up under my blanket (crocheted, natch), wearing my dunce cap, I bid you adieu. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment