Saturday, December 13, 2008

Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup All Grown Up

It's funny- so many people think that my sister and I are very alike- our voices, laugh, and mannerisms are so alike that most people mix us up. Especially now that my hair is MIA. However, she is a vegetarian whereas I believe that PETA stands for "People Eating Tasty Animals." I see a cow in the field and have an ungodly urge to run out and start gnawing on its legs. Another difference is that I love to cook....she...not so much. However, she does make a mean grilled cheese sandwich. I introduced her to the awesome pairing of grilled cheese and tomato soup and she hasn't looked back.

Today for lunch, we had a very grown up, and healthy, soup and sandwich combination.

For the sandwich, we used a high fiber, omega-3 enriched bread. With 5 grams of fiber, 3 grams of protein and only 50 calories per slice, this is a nutritional powerhouse bread. LOVE.IT.

We added 1.5 oz of Co-Jack cheese (160 calories, 10g protein, 14g fat- but, it's fat from cheese, so it doesn't count....or so I like to tell myself. It is saturated fat (bad for the heart in large quantities)...but it tastes sooo goood!)

Then, the most awesome combination of soups since chicken + noodles: Butternut Squash and Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato soups.


Butternut Squash: 90 cals/cup, 2 g fiber, zilch protein.
RRP/T: 110 cals/cup, 1g fiber, 5g protein.

I combined 1/2 C of each to create this scrumptious meal


So, there you have it. A vegetarian meal created by two very similar yet very different sisters. Granted, all I did was pour the soups together into the bowls, but I did it with gusto.

So, all together, 405 Cals (including the tsp. of butter used to make the glorious sandwiches), 10g fiber (I'm all about the fiber folks. A clean colon is a happy colon), 25g fat (again, cheesy goodness), and 16.5g protein.

Ahhhh....a simple, tasty meal made entirely of comfort food. I love ya sis!

No comments:

Post a Comment