Thursday, February 12, 2015

Four Months


Four LOOOOOOONG months. That’s how long it’s been since my last blog post (!!) and how long it’s been since our stuff has been making the long journey from Australia back home to us on the East Coast. And today, that journey finally ends. FINALLY. In other words, I GET MY YARN STASH BACK TODAY!!!! If that’s not cause for celebration, I don’t know what is.

I had fully intended to blog during our trip back home- documenting our various travels and the yarn stores I visited along the way. However, starting with SweetPea catching a bad cold during our first stop in Guam, things kinda went downhill from there. We were like chain smokers, except with sicknesses, and I don’t mean plain ol’ colds, either. After we all caught SweePea’s cold, I was treated with an urgent care visit in Hawaii (for a doctor’s note saying I was healthy enough to fly….now there’s a fun story that goes with that….) where I found that I had ALSO had developed shingles. (!!) And that was just the beginning, finally culminating with Little Mister and I getting the flu last month. After that, I implemented a lock down for the kids and I. We had our groceries delivered and were true hermits and didn’t leave the house for weeks, except for doctor’s appointments of which there were quite a few.

Thankfully, that means that we have actually been well for about 4 weeks now, 2 of which My Mister was out of town, leaving me a neurotic mess hoping and praying we didn’t get sick while he was gone. Four straight weeks of not sneezing, coughing, runny noses, screaming babies, ERs, MRIs or CAT scans. There were still a couple urgent care visits, though. However, those were a result of SweetPea’s proclivity for sticking beans up her nose rather than snot coming out of it.

After traveling for nearly a month, visiting family and friends along the way, we were in a hotel for a month and a half until we found a house- our Christmas present. We moved in on Christmas Eve and had fun unpacking all our stuff that had been in storage for the past 3 years. It’s quite odd, actually. Seeing evidence of My Mister’s and my life pre-kids and all the memories that come with it, and then seeing our kids playing with these things that predate them by many years. It brought up some important questions, actually. Questions like, why the heck did we have a Blue’s Clues doll, anyway?

We celebrated Christmas a few days later because we were determined to have a Christmas tree and to make some happy memories with our kids. Seeing their ecstatic faces with the tree lit and all the presents for them was priceless. We were actually blessed with 4 sickness free days at that time and that was indeed a Christmas miracle.

Being well these last few weeks has been a true blessing. I was so close to losing my mind cool there if I got sick again. Oddly enough, I got the worst of all the sicknesses, including nearly a week of a 104 (40 C) fever while we were still in the hotel, and weird neurological stuff- like my legs giving out in the middle of the night when I went to pick up a crying kiddo- that may possibly be another bout of Lymes disease. Oh, there’s another fun story there, too! So, so fun.

And now, finally, today we get our stuff back from Australia. We get to have our house filled with memories from the past 3 years. The kids get their toys again. I get my kitchen back. (I’m so thankful to a very nice gal from church- someone I had never met- who has loaned me a set of pots and pans so I could cook these past 6 weeks. People can be so awesome sometimes!) And I finally, FINALLY get my yarn back.

Actually, funny enough, our stuff was delayed a bit because of said yarn. You see, when the Aussie movers packed it up, they labeled it “Wool,” which is the Aussie way of saying “yarn.” After a few boxes of wool, it then became, “WOOL!!” So, we got a nice email from US customs asking what these 9 boxes of wool were and if it was “directly from an animal” which made me laugh and laugh. Although I wanted to say, “It’s still on the animal…you did feed and water our flock, didn’t you?” I wisely decided to hold my tongue since I’m pretty sure US Customs folks don’t have senses of humor. Aussie ones sure don’t. They made us destroy our fake ficus tree when our stuff first arrived there 3 years ago. It was a FAKE tree, Australia. Thanks a lot! Now my house is ficus less!

The movers should be here shortly and I’m going to take the kids to a Fiber Friends get together, which brings me full circle to my first few weeks in Australia. You see, that same woman who started the Fibre Friends group in Australia lives not too far from me out here and has invited me to her newest group out here. She’s been one of the biggest blessings since moving back, actually. More on that later. I promise.

For now, I’s gots ta go. But, I promise it won’t be 4 months until my next post! As a matter of fact, I’m going to do a guest Valentine’s post for Libby….stay tuned….

2 comments:

  1. GeGe, I will stop complaining about my own sickness stint, because honestly after your story, I think I'm all the way healed! I'm so glad that you all are on the upswing. So, are you back in the States? Here's wishing you and your family a wonderful Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We miss you so much!!! Glad your stuff is there and glad you are all well!!! Update more often so we can see what projects you are working on! :)

    ReplyDelete