Monday, August 23, 2010

The Life of a Movie Star

Wow.  That's all I can say about last night.  Ok- not *all* I can say- Lord knows I can be quite verbose- but still...WOW!

As I mentioned last Monday, I was attending the showing of my film, Lilly's Thorn, at the World Music and Independent Film Festival in Washington, DC.  My Mister, sister and I parked by the correct building but were trying to find the right entrance. As we were walking by one corner, my sister said, "It's right here."  After wondering how she inherited psychic superpowers and I didn't, I then saw how she knew.

Gege, meet Lilly.

EEEEP!!  Seeing your face on a large poster in a window in Washington, DC is quite awesome.  Being recognized by the people inside is even awesomer.  (It's a word- look it up.)  For you observant readers out there, yes, I'm wearing my sister's Marilyn bag- I had borrowed it for my Canada trip.  Hey- it was a trip where we were going to meet fellow knitters and crocheters and I had to represent both crochet (let's be honest- knitters usually get all the attention) and my mad crochet and design skeelz, ya know?  And represent, I did.  That bag really is a head turner!  Even the folks at the festival were commenting on it. :)
 
It was a 9pm showing on a Monday, so I didn't expect many viewers in attendance and I was right.  Rocky Yost, the writer/producer/casting director/promoter of the film was there, as well, and he and I did a small question/answer for the folks who did attend.  I've always wanted to do that!  Hee!

June Daguiso, me, and Rocky

Since there were so few people, I was able to meet with June Daguiso, the Festival's founder.  I told him how excited I was to be nominated for Best Actress and that we were planning on attending Saturday's Award Ceremony/Gala.  He told me that, if I was planning on attending, to come around 10:30/11 so I can be interviewed for the event and then maybe stick around for the award ceremony that started at 1 after the luncheon that would be served.

On the way home, my Mister said, "Did you kind of get the feeling like he was basically saying you weren't going to win?"  I said, "Yeah...he would have been a little more persuasive in telling me to attend.  A little *wink wink* *nudge nudge*."  "Yeah.  That's what I thought, too.  Especially when he said that the really big movies who have multiple nominations are being shown on Thursday.  I'm sorry honey."

So, I was a little bummed, but not too much since I was in competition with "real" actresses like Dana Delaney.  Jack Hartman, who played my father in Lilly's, was also nominated for Best Supporting Actor and was up against Aidan Quinn, among others.  So, I can honestly say that it truly was an honor to just be nominated.

As the week progressed, we were discussing what was going to happen on Saturday.  My Mister was all for me doing the interview portion- networking with fellow actors and movie makers is a good thing in this industry.  It's also extremely nerve wracking.  Especially when you are already nervous about being nominated for Best Actress yet you know you're not going to win anyway, but you still want to attend the Gala, but really, why get your hopes up, especially when it's a relatively small Film Festival and most likely not many people will attend, so why worry about attending, anyway? *Big inhale*

Yeah- I was a mite neurotic about the whole thing.  Friday night, I was up till 1:30 trying on dresses for the Gala.  My Mister was groggily telling me that I looked great while I yelled at him to actually turn around and open his eyes.  HOW CAN HE SLEEP AT A TIME LIKE THIS?!?

I told my sister I would be at her place at 9:30am and then my Mister would meet us there at 10 and we'd drive together to DC.  Well, remember last posting what I said about me and planning?  Yeah- none of that happened.

I set my alarm for 7:30 but promptly (and anxiously) woke up at 6:30,  ran to the shower and repeatedly called my sister to let her know I was going to be there much earlier than expected so we could get ready together.  After calling 7 times, she finally answered.  Luckily (for her) she was already up and was eating breakfast, so I didn't have to yell at her, too.

After stopping at Walmart for some essentials (such as makeup- I really don't wear that much and thought this would be a good day to pull out all the stops), I arrived at her place where we both excitedly got ready.  It was like prom all over again- so fun!

Sisters, Sisters, There were never such devoted sisters.

I  asked my Mister to meet us at 10, but he so tactfully and sensitively responded, "Why?  You're not going to win, anyway.  It'll be best to drive separately so I can go home early."

Ouch, Honey.  I knew he was right, but still.  One thing I love about my Mister is that he is filled with integrity.  If he says he'll do something, he will.  However, that also means that he is completely, and sometimes brutally, honest.  (Granted, with the way things more often than not just fly out of my mouth and completely bypass my brain, I can be equally brutally honest.) I know he didn't mean that as a reflection of my talent- he's just a very realistic counterpoint to my very idealistic outlook on life. 

Anywho, my sis and I left a little later than I had hoped to, but my lead foot fixed that minor inconvenience.  The new plan was to meet my Mister there so that my sis and I could stay and he could go home early instead of sitting through 5 hours of an award ceremony at which we both (realistically) knew I wasn't going to win anything. 

We arrived in time for me to be interviewed and got to chat with Jack Hartman, the very talented actor who portrayed Lilly's dad.  I hadn't seen him in nearly 2 years, so it was a wonderful reunion.

Lilly takes after her mom...for reals, yo.
After the interviewing portion, everyone was getting ready to be seated for the luncheon.  Well....again with the planning and me....  On Monday, I had told June that I would be attending with my husband and sister.  We had later emailed and I told him, again, that we three would be attending.  Well, the thing is, we still needed tickets to prove that we were to be there.  It was a big brouhaha and ended with the Festival people finally (and very graciously) saying we could have their seats since everyone else had (intelligently) already paid and had assigned seating.  All we had to do was pay for the tickets.  Well....we didn't realize that those tickets cost beaucoup bucks-  beaucoup bucks that we did not have on hand....in cash....at the door.   So, we put those poor people through the paces to get us seats just to go down the street and eat some sandwiches at Cosi.  Oops. 

After lunch, I said, "Why don't we just save money and go home now?  I'm not going to win and I've already done my interview, so let's go."  My sister, who was so excited to attend the award ceremony, strongly opposed this suggestion and talked me into staying.  I then talked my Mister into staying, as well.  I was still anxious, nervous, and a little frustrated with the whole lunch thingy, so I really could use him there.  He agreed to stay by my side. (He is very supportive of me- and very patient.  I don't deserve that man!)

We got back a little after 1 and, thankfully, they were a little behind schedule for the award ceremony.  We went inside and very quitely sat on the sidelines, out of the way, while everyone else was at their tables having just finished with lunch.  After 2 awards were presented, the Festival people came up to us and said, "We're not going to be at our seats, please come with us and you can have them."  We, feeling bad for putting them through so much stress earlier, graciously accepted.  We followed them through the crowd....and followed them........and followed them.......alllllll the way up to the front.  We were at table 3, which just happened to be smack dab in front of center stage.  Yeah.  We got to walk in front of the whole crowd to the very front of the room.  *dying of embarrassment*

There were eight categories of awards being presented, each section divided by a musical performance by one of the Musical nominees.  It was a blast!  My film was up for 8 awards- 6 of which were already announced and we didn't win any of them.  Some of the bigger movies/actors/musicians had won, including OK/GO for best video and a couple wins for Route 30. My category, being one of the "big ones" was the very last one of the evening.  I had no expectations, which was great- it allowed me to enjoy the evening without being overly nervous.

They announced Best Director which we were up for...and didn't win.  They announced Best Actor.  Best Actress was next.  I asked my Mister to record them just so we can have video proof of my name being announced as a nominee.  Want to see it?!?  I knew you did. :)

(Best viewed in full screen- my Mister was recording on his phone vertically, which made it vertical in the upload, too.)










!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT THE WHAT?!??!?!?!?!??!?!  For those of you who were unwilling or unable to view the clip, I TOTALLY WON!!!!!!!   Completely did not expect that!!!  You can hear my Mister's and sister's very excited reactions.  My Mister was so shocked, he hit stop on the camera.  He then (as I later found out) leaned over to kiss me, but, as you can see, I bolted pretty quickly.  All I could think of was, Don't trip on the table cloth.  Don't trip on the table cloth.  HURRY! I better snatch that trophy before they realize they made a mistake!

My Mister got the camera working again in time for my thank you speech, which I had not prepared, at all.  Here's me, flying by the seat of my pants.



Yep- I totally called out my Mister on stage.  See what I mean about things flying out of my mouth?

You love me! You really love me!

It was a completely surreal experience!  That June Daguiso- he completely had us fooled!  Good job on not giving anything away!  We had an amazing night.  Could not have gone any better in my wildest dreams!  As I said earlier- WOW!!

I hope you enjoyed the recap of my day as a "movie star."  Hey- I did star in a movie, so I guess the term applies, right?  :)  WHY ARE YOU LOOKING ME IN THE EYES???  I said only WHITE M&Ms!!  No W's!!!!!  Heads will roll!  Get my agent on the line!!!!!

2010 WMIFF Best Actress WINNER!

6 comments:

  1. That is so cool! And to think I once shared a stage with you! Any chance we'll see you on the boards once again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Thanks, Christine. :) I really do miss OOH- I had so much fun with y'all! Hopefully I'll be able to audition in the very near future...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gege-
    Congratulations on your WMIFF Best Actress award!

    Great purse. I'm sure you turned a lot of heads with that purse and your face front and center on the film board.

    Glad things are getting better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, Tracy! So nice to put a face with the name! Yes- things have definitely been a whole lot better for me in the last month or so- thank the Lord! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is SO awesome!! What movie was it? I couldn't quite hear that, and when was it made? I have had many surgeries in the last 2 years and haven't kept up on much of anything! Great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen! Wow! So great to "see" you, again! I had wondered what happened to you. I hope you are healing well from the many surgeries- not bee a fun 2 years, huh?

    The name of my movie is Lilly's Thorn. I filmed it summer/fall 2008, so it's been a while, but it was still very fun. :)

    Glad to see you back!

    ReplyDelete