Monday, July 25, 2011

Arrrrrrrrrrgh…..Why is There a Monkey on My Head??

I’m so very pleased to let y’all know that our little bundle of joy has finally made his appearance. He’s been a long time coming (an almost interminable time in pregnancy years), but I now have a new Little Mister in my life.  I'm so very blown away at how much and how quickly I could fall so totally and completely in love with such a perfect, tiny little human.  He makes us laugh at all his cute little faces and it never gets old when he decides to poop on my Mister just as he's changing his diaper. 

My labor and delivery was exactly like my pregnancy- nothing went the way I thought it would.  A word from the wise- just because you may have a “perfect” birth plan in place and take all the right classes and watch all the right videos, the reality of birth overrides the best of intentions.

I’ve been really busy with feeding the little guy.  I never thought something so small could consume so much all throughout the day.  I also now nominate breastfeeding as a new Olympic sport.  Let’s just say I’ve had to get creative in order to get him to latch well.  However, once he does latch, boy-howdy! Can that little guy go to town!  At this rate, I’ll definitely lose all the pregnancy weight and then some- he’s sucking me dry!

Ok- I don’t have much time before we have to go train for the Booby Olympics again, so I have to wrap this up.  Without further ado, here’s my Little Mister in his Sock Monkey hat I made him. 

A little monkey for our little monkey


ACK! Have you ever seen anything so cute in your life?????  (I’m, of course, not in any way biased at all. Cuteness Spotting is my secondary Olympic sport, after Breastfeeding.)

The following picture is from the first time I tried the hat on him- I didn’t stretch it out* before forcing it onto his cute little noggin.

Arrrrrrrrrrgh…..Why is There a Monkey on My Head??

I laughed so hard I was crying. I am definitely going to have fun with this little child o'mine. :)

* Alterations made to the Sock Monkey Hat pattern: I used Aunt Lydia's Fashion Crochet Cotton size 3 in white, red, black and a dark brown. (Sorry for the non-specific colors...I'll update when I have time.) I held the thread doubled for the hat but single for the eyes and mouth.  I used a Susan Bates size G hook, which is slightly smaller than a Boye size G. (I like using Susan Bates for cotton but will normally use Boye for everything else.) I made the first 3 rows according to the pattern. Then I did a red row with increases.  I then did the brown rows without increasing. Because I had fewer stitches per round than the pattern indicated, my second ear flap location does not follow the pattern's count- just figure out the center and place it there. For the mouth, I chained 12 instead of 15. Since it's cotton, be sure to stretch it out prior to forcing it on a newborn's skull, otherwise you'll have a pretty cranky (if not insanely adorable) little one on your hands. :)

12 comments:

  1. You're not biased, not in the least bit! Your little bundle of joy is a cutie. Love the first photo of the little mister sporting his new hat...stretched hat! Glad you're doing well and have a healthy baby on your hands. Congratulations to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh he´s lovely. And what a cute hat!! åhhh no no births goes as we planed, and NO births are the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, all! I totally lucked out with that first picture, Libby. Getting him right as he smiled was awesome. :)

    Kristiane- ain't that the truth! Certainly gave me food for thought for the next time (Lord willing. :) )

    Thank you CB!! I'm just so much happier now that he's out rather than in. Those last few weeks were quite miserable, but now they were totally worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! Keep up the baby updates for all of us! He is a little cutie! Have fun they change so much at the beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cute little monkey! Congrats to you and your Misters...especially the one surviving the Poopie Olympics! I didn't see mention of his birthday though, just wondering. My little Gummy Bear grandson arrived on the 21st and except for the family details, I could have been reading my daughter's "Little Mister" blog.

    Glad you have a little Muse bouche to inspire more crochet creations...that will happen to be about the right size for our little Muse bouche...Anyone up for a Sushi Hat???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Gege! You alway crack my junx up. Especially when you think you have the "perfect" plan. I always chukle to myself because I know how quickly you'll soon discover that more often than not, God's plan is ever so different than ours. How he so often removes the "comfort" from a plan. But boy does that plan become ever so perfect when we just rest in Him. Lil mister is soooooo perfect. Love him so much and love you guys so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, wdmk. :) I'll keep updating as I've got time, which hopefully will become more abundant as he gets a little older and isn't eating every 2 hours. I'm wondering how much of this blog will be crochet related and how much it's going to semi-transform into a "mommy blog". Hmmmm..... a mommy crochet blog works for me. :)

    Hey Gran! It's been a while! Congratulations on your new grandchild, as well! Oh yes...I've got the Boobies and my Mister has the Poopies. Works well for us! (Ok, maybe a little bit better for me. :) ). As far as my Little Mister's b-day, I'm going to keep that private. The info available on the internet kinda spooks me, so I'm going to keep certain things out of the public domain as long as possible, ya know? (I don't know how I run a blog with how paranoid I am. Must be an interesting case study waiting to be conducted...)

    Lyteyz- amen sistah friend! The Lord's plan is always better than anything we could ever think of. Even when I think my plan was pretty darn good and, you know, if He wanted to go along with my plan, it would have been pretty sweet. (Still working on acceptance of things I can't control... ;) ). I'm just happy that both Little Mister and I are doing well and I'm soooooo much happier with him out rather than in!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wootie Woot Wootington! Congrats and enjoy that little guy!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Kuddles! We are definitely enjoying him. I can't believe how much he changes day by day. But, I think we're documenting just about every minute of his life- can't stop taking pictures and videos of him. Total noob parent alert....Teehee!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on the birth of your beautiful baby boy! Take time to enjoy every precious minute of him!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you LGR! Yes- I'm definitely enjoying all the minutes I get with him...even the stinky diaper ones. :)

    ReplyDelete