Sunday, March 29, 2009

Mario Party! Part 1- The Whole Enchilada

Alright. The time has finally come. I have finally finished crocheting each and every panel of my Mario Blanket. They are all crocheted together. All that is left is crocheting a border around it. However, I have been working my buns off on this thing and I don't know when I'll finish the border. I'm so freaking excited to have it "done" that I'm going to be unveiling it.........NOW!

Here it is, in all of its technicolor glory:



ACK!! How awesome is that?!?!? It's so huge, I had to lay it out in my foyer and go upstairs to get a photo. Here's a pic of my birthday boy stretched out on it for a size perspective. My honey is 6'2".



Here's a shot of it on my queen sized bed- its ultimate resting place.



Unfortunately, I did not get it all done by his birthday party. I was working on the last panel and had only this to show for my months of hard work:




Now, this is not all my friends...oh no. The blanket itself tells a story- if you start in the upper left hand corner and go right, then down and left, then down and right, then down and left, then down and right, you'll indeed see that this was a quest for Mario. I have incorporated various scenes from my beloved game and will show pics of the individual panels. I'm way too proud of this baby just to show a bird's eye view. :) However, since that will be a butt load of photos, it will be a separate post (or two).

Going back to my husband's birthday- my sister had a wonderful idea! To go along with the theme of my blanket, she suggested we throw him a Mario Party....complete with a Mario cake. Well, my entire family is artsy/fartsy, and my sister is no exception. She had a WONDERFUL idea for a cake and it turned out BEAUTIFUL!

Here is the artist at work:



She really wanted to have fondant to make it look absolutely smooth and perfect; however, that stuff is expensive as heck....especially for such a large cake....so we used a cream cheese frosting that was supposed to harden "like fondant." Ummm....no. It did not. Darn those lying liars who tell lies. However, it tasted great!

All of the cakes tasted absolutely phenomenal. The first tier had a raspberry cake layer topped with a chocolate cake layer filled with cream cheese frosting and whole raspberries in the center. This depicted the first level of SMB. The second tier was a mango cake filled with raspberry jam in the center and was the water level world of SMB. The third tier was a chocolate cake with chocolate butter cream frosting and whole raspberries in the center. This was the Bowser battle scene. The fourth tier was raspberry cake with raspberry jam in the center. This was the hero's welcome by the princess. All of the cake was iced with the cream cheese frosting. It was absolutely AWESOME!!!





We had so much fun that night- had some friends over and played Wii....and of course some old school Super Mario Bros. I don't know if I'll ever be able to top this crochet project- or at least not for a while. I've got some ideas burbling around and, once my shoulder, neck and finger muscles go back into a relaxed state, I will be back with my yarn and my geeky obsessions. :) I'm going to take a little time off since this project has seriously taken over my life, but I'll be back with some new purses and scarfs in the very near future.

Onto the individual pictures!

PS: A FAQ can be found here.

42 comments:

  1. So, after admiring your blanket on Craftster and again here, I had just a couple questions, if you wouldn't mind answering them. Which Tunisian stitch did you use? Also, what size hook? I spent all night last night researching Tunisian crochet due to your blanket, and then dreamt about it some more. I am dying to try it out, now that I've seen what amazing things you can do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by and for the complements! :) To answer your questions- I used just the regular Tunisian sc stitch with a size I hook. It's the afghan hook that came in the "I Taught Myself to Crochet" (or something like that) kit I got from Walmart. For the 2 large panels on the bottom, I had to buy a size I cabled afghan hook, but I mistakenly bought the cabled circular hook...or double hook...or whatever the heck it's called. It's got 2 long crochet hooks attached by a cable. It ended up working really well, though, since I could stick one hook into a skein of yarn to keep it anchored and not flopping all over the place. :)

    I'm so happy this blanket has inspired you! I love to "regular" crochet, but for doing graph work, I think that Tunisian just works better than sc....not to mention I hate doing sc row after row after row in order to do a graph....ugh!

    I'll be adding a video tutorial on changing colors correctly since it makes such a huge difference. Thanks again for stopping by!!

    Gege

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the most amazing thing I have ever seen! You're an amazing artist/crocheter, and have inspired me to try out some graphic pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your quilt. It is inspiring and a thing of beauty. May all your dreams be in 8-Bit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For future cakes you might want to try a marshmallow fondant. It's a cheap and easy alternative to regular fondant. People say it tastes better too, although I'm one of the few people that actually likes to eat the fondant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A-MA-ZING! The blanket is just out of this world. My daughter and husband will be pea-green with envy, if I let them see the pictures. I just realized that I was staring at the pictures with my mouth hanging open.
    Also, the cake is just great! I suggest a regular buttercream frosting recipe for next time. After you get it frosted let it air dry for about 10 minutes. Take a piece of paper towel that doesn't have a quilted design on it. (I think Bounty is a good one. But I'm not sure now that I think of it.) Lay the paper towel flat on the cake and with the palm of your hand, gently rub/glide smooth the frosting under the paper towel. Gently pull the paper towel up and move it to the next section, and repeat. The heat from your hand helps make the frosting look almost like fondant. My aunt makes wedding cakes, and this is how she smooths her frosting. I've tried it myself and it really does work. The buttercream frosting does create a "crust" (for lack of a better word) as it air dries, and plus tastes much better than fondant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That blanket is so awesome! Super Mario Bros. is the only video game I've ever really played. I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. any chance you'll be selling these soon?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I HAVE A QUESTION, WHAT YARN SIZE DID YOU USE FOR THIS AWSOME PROJECT? AND HOOK SIZE?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION, how long did it take you to make the one with the bowser in it? it looks huge when its right next to your husband!!! well this has got to be the best crocheted work of art I have ever seen!!It all looks so original down to the last detail! Oh yea did you finish the border i want to see the whole thing completed, i bet it looks awsome, and hopefully this will not be your last mario blanket, with that kind of talent of yours, you can do anything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. AMAZING!!! I showed my 7 year old Mario fan son and he's begging me to make him one... the only problems are I don't know if I can take that much time out of my life of three young boys to make it while he's still wanting one and the other is I have three boys and would have to make two more equally awesome things for them which means I'll be crafting these few projects for about say 10 years (just and estimate ;P) I might get the guts after the end of the year holiday's and start one because it's just that great!!! I love your bags too especially the watermelon one... did you use the same stich as the watermelon scarf/hat before felting? It looks so much stiffer than your other bags.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations. Your Mario blanket is absolutely awesome. Really fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi,
    OMG!!! Your bed spread/quilt is so inspiring. I'm going to be starting a bedspread for my queen size bed and was wondering if you could please give the length and width measurements? Yours fits exactly how I like. I'm going to check out graphing in tunisian, I've never tried it. Thank you very much for sharring your beautiful work. crochetkid

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think this is the "Mother" of all afghans. I've never seen one as detailed! It needs to go into the Crochet Hall Of Fame....(if there is such a thing) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is incredible, as is your other work. Thank you for sharing and inspiring beginners like myself. I mentioned this blanket on my blog and included your blog address to give you credit. Hope that's okay. courtastic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Most epic crochet blanket - ever. So impressive that you didnt map anything out either. It looks so fantastic! I would love to do something like this. My hooks salute you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is SO COOL! And I'm not even a big Mario fan, but I knit, and that must have taken you some serious time. Very impressive. You should do one for Zelda fans next ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I heart you so much for this! EPIC WIN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. soooo... my husband seen this afghan and guess what?! He wants want too! LOL Actually he wants two of them. This is nice!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would like to know if you will be posting the pattern or selling it? I have a couple of sons who LOVE Super Mario bros. and would just go NUTS to have a blanket like this, it is so AWESOME!! You are very very talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Please contact me if you decide to post this pattern or sell it, I don't know what the copyrights on the design are, but you could really do well with your artist talents, Have you ever thought about going in to the business of writing patterns?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your blanket is so inspiring!

    Have you been crocheting for very long, and how do you come up with such inspirational ideas for your projects?

    You should seriously think about selling patterns to publishers. I'd think you'd do very well.

    Regards,

    Crocheting Mom

    ReplyDelete
  23. Unbelievable.

    That is some kind of crazy amazing. You win. (everything).

    ReplyDelete
  24. My husband is demanding one of these for HIS birthday. Do you have the pattern or did you just do this by the seat of your pants?

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is AMAZING! I hope to make something like this using Super Mario Brothers 3 panels.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I dropped my crochet hook and it must have hit the ground the same time my mouth did when I spotted this. It's AMAZING!!

    I love to crochet, so I know how much work goes into it and I have not even tried anything this complicated before. I think the fact that you made this for your husband makes it even more priceless.

    I love the detailed work you put into this. I love that it's Super Mario Bros- the GREATEST game of all time! And I love that you made it out of love. Awesome on every single level of awesomeness!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Good job! This is absolutely incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love this. I love this so much I am debating learning to crochet purely so I can make something similar. Well done to you!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hay girll love your blanky..LOLOL..hay how did you create your color graphs that you posted on your youtube video? what software did you use??

    CATSPURRFECT@GMAIL.COM

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hey Cats-purrrfect (love the name!)-

    Thanks for the blanky love. :) I didn't use any software for my graphs. I actually just printed off screen shots and then manually drew grid lines on them. Pretty low-tech, I'm afraid. To make a graph out of a picture, you may want to try http://www.microrevolt.org/knitPro.htm
    It's free and makes great graphs, but usually really LARGE graphs.
    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hello Geraldine, this is Cathie's daughter Heather. This blanket is awesome!!! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks Heather! It was great meeting you last night. :) I hope you made it home safely... if not, you are most likely stuck out here for a while.... Love your stuff on your website! It wasn't just "mom bragging" when your mom bragged about your art- it was The Truth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. WOW, Super Job.I have made quite a few graph ghans, but with a P hook. I may habe to give it a go with an I hook

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks, Anon. :) P hook will definitely make it go faster, but you'll have some huge panels. I loves me my I hook. :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. It's mind-blowingly beautiful! It's original and awesome!!
    Hats off!!!Hats off to your creativity!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is probably.... this IS the coolest thing I have seen crocheted...ever.

    Inspiring, awesome. I want to be you!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. My husband wants to know how much it cost to make this? I showed it to him n he was like oh cool. Then he saw it on the queen bed and said OMG.

    ReplyDelete
  38. My husband wants to know how much it cost to make this? At first he was like oh that's cool, then he saw it on your queen size bed and said omg that's awesome

    ReplyDelete