Monday, February 22, 2010

Super Mario Blanket Love on the Interwebs

Last year at this time, I was spending 8-12 hours a day (yes, seriously) sitting on my ever expanding rear end watching Gilmore Girls and Avatar: The Last Airbender while obsessively creating my surprisingly popular Mario Blanket.  I really can't believe it's been a year- 2009, I hardly knew thee.  

It's been amazing to see where this thing has ended up.  I posted it on Crochetville first.  Then, over at Craftster.  (Btw- I am a Best of Craftster 2009 winner!) That's where it got a life of it's own.  Boing Boing picked it up and then it exploded all over the place.  I also listed it on my Ravelry page (user name: Gege.....duh).  I listed it at the end of March and found out that the deadline for nominations for the Bobby Awards was April 1.  At the time, I had no idea what the heck the Bobby awards were, but here we are nearly a year later and I find that I've been nominated in not one, but TWO categories!  Geekiest Pattern and Best Personal Pattern Project.  If you are on Ravelry, please be sure to vote for my blanket- voting closes Monday. :)  Thank you to everyone who nominated me and to those of you who have voted. It truly is such an honor to be nominated. (But, dang, it sure would be better to WIN! Just keeping it real, folks.)

In addition to the numerous tweets and wists, here's a list of a various websites/blogs on which I've seen it posted. Since many sites will show a picture of the blanket and not provide a link to my blog, I wasted my entire evening and googled myself and this blanket obsessively for hours. If you found it on another site, let me know!

Boing Boing
WiiNintendo
Sprite Stitch  (I had posted it in the forums first)
ThreadBanger
RugRag  
FaveCraftsBlog
EpicWinFTW  
Slash Gamer 
I-am-bored
ibored
Geek Central Station 
Craftster Manic Monday
GeekSpective 
1nation 
CraftyCrafty
I Am The Manta
Nerdism Is Sexy
Technabob (though not the blanket...it's for my Princess Scarf, which is pretty awesome in and of itself, but.....hello!? Did you not see this crazy awesome blanket?? Gosh!) (/Napoleonic (Dynamite) rant)
Geeks With Issues 
GoNintendo
That Girl's Site  

It was also in the Official Nintendo Magazine (UK) Fan Art section in May/June 2009 and someone mentioned they saw it in NGamer, as well (it would have been nice to have been notified about these things so I could have gotten a copy.....) 

Thanks for all the comments, compliments and overall geek love for my work.  It truly has been amazing.

8 comments:

  1. Hi!

    Congratulations on your nominations! Your blanket certainly deserves it(as does your other work)! I also wouldn't be surprised to see an offer from some prestigious publisher from somewhere.

    You are very creative and talented, I hope that you go far in your endeavors with your craft.

    Regards.

    p.s. about people not notifying you about your blanket and things. Maybe a kind email to them reminding them, might help. There are many nice people out their in the crafting community(which is something I LOVE about the crafting community as well!). Also maybe someone you trust with experience in public relations on the net, might be able to stir you in the right direction in this regard. Love to help, but, don't have a clue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm anxiously awaiting the results of the Bobby's..... Also, I contacted EpicWinFTW- they have now correctly credited me and put a link to my blog. :) AND....get this....they say it's one of their favorites! SQUEE!!

    Thanks, again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! Just wanted to tell you I love the super mario blanket I saw on Ravelry. I gasped out loud! Just need to tell ya I thought it was so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your blanket is epic. I'm absolutely in love :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those links carry you to a bunc of good and interesting stuff about videogames, I have informed about some game tips for my Wii games.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my friends saw this blanket on one of her geek crafts websites (I can;t remember which one) and posted it on her face book wall... I googled till i found your blog! You are AMAZING! and Crazy :D You have gotten much geek love on facebook :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks angeliktearz! Don't know about amazing (aw shucks....*kick ground bashfully), but I'll definitely go with Crazy. ;)

    ReplyDelete